Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Final Reviews

Here is a photo of my second semester work as it appeared last Thursday for final reviews at MassArt.
Some things that were said which I consider helpful and/or positive:
  • Some of the work (such as the second to largest piece left of the middle, and the middle piece with the black background) creates an unknown space that makes a viewer continually interested; the negative space around the imagery fades in and out, and you cannot tell where the subject/imagery resides.
  • This specific technique of melting ice to make imagery has not been done before (to neither mine nor any of my reviewers' knowledge) but it is closely related to a way of working made popular by such artists as Jackson Pollock and Helen Frankenthaler. The way of working referred to was horizontally/on the floor and very "liquid."
  • The quality of the canvases and presentation of the work is carefully crafted and professional.
Some things that were said which I disagreed with:
  • Working on canvas on stretcher bars is limiting my work. I disagree because I am following a tradition of painting as my influence and using these "carefully crafted" canvases (which I make myself) as a way to display my work in that same professional manner that was considered positive.
  • "The only piece that interests me at all is this one." (In reference to that tiny study on paper to the right of the largest piece). That study means absolutely nothing to me and has the same qualities as the more involved work except that it is less significant and fails compositionally. Perhaps we'll just chalk this one up to bad taste?
  • "It's good that you're experimenting and exploring, and keep doing it!" I don't mean this to seem conceited of me but I felt like I was being talked down to. I am past "experimenting" with my technique; I virtually have it down to an equation at this point. I may have taken this comment too personally, though.
  • "You're letting your process ride you," after a mismatched metaphor to horseback riding and art. I did defend myself aloud here. We clarified my intentions and I pointed this reviewer to my artist statement, which she dismissed (that's my kind way of saying she avoided it). 
All in all, I think there was a good balance of comments. The review did what it was supposed to, which is make me analyze my work as strangers would and consider their potential perspective. I also have new ideas running around in my head which is never a bad outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment