Monday, December 28, 2009

Artist Statement 12/28/09

Kaylie Abela



http://kaylieabela.blogspot.com
Kaylie.Abela@gmail.com
--------------------
860.967.6396

My paintings are driven by my interest in how intuition affects possibility and chance. I do not manipulate my media as it evolves, just as I cannot control inevitability in life.

In my process, ice is left to melt over beads of paint on a horizontal canvas. The canvas is prepared to absorb the media enough to stain and to repel water causing it to pool and evaporate. Before ice is laid, raw paint is quickly, intuitively strewn across the surface of the canvas. Once the ice is placed over this paint, my work as a manipulator is done until the water that forms from the melted ice evaporates. Subsequent layers are added using this method if the piece requires them. The imagery that results consists of mysterious marks of color that form spontaneously depending on how the different types of paint used interact. The unpredictable nature of the irregular ice denotes unforeseen, inevitable change and acknowledges randomness as a contributor in the patterns of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment