Sunday, August 2, 2009

Artist Statement 8/3/09

Kaylie Abela


kaylie.abela@gmail.com

kaylieabela.blogspot.com

--------------------

10 Wedgewood Street · Quincy · Ma

860.967.6396

My paintings are influenced by my interest in how intuition affects possibility and chance. I do not manipulate my media as it evolves, just as I cannot control inevitability in life.

In the Ice series, ice is left to melt over beads of paint. The canvas is prepared to both absorb the media enough to stain and to repel the water enough for it to pool and evaporate. The resulting imagery consists of mysterious marks of color that interact with one another spontaneously. The preliminary areas of raw paint are intuitively placed on the primed canvas, many times following my inclination toward what I call the "Totem pole" format, which is vertical and linear. Since ice is a main contributor to the imagery that evolves, resulting shapes are likely to stray from the initial laying of the paint. The unpredictable nature of the ice denotes unforeseen, inevitable change.

No comments:

Post a Comment