Wednesday, April 3, 2013

"Threadlines"

A recent post discussed my threadline drawings after I experienced a surge of interest in them following creating one as a Sunday night activity with my boyfriend. Lately I've been toying with the idea of creating an Etsy shop of these small works on paper for some extra cash. There's some criteria I'm perfecting before opening the shop (Hopefully on May 1):

  • The shop should consist of about 50+ items for sale in order to offer a good selection.
  • The shop should be cohesive; i.e. I found one Etsy shop owner who actually has two separate accounts because she does fine abstract art paintings and fashion illustrations, but didn't want them to be mixed in the same storefront.
  • Pricing obviously varies by artist, but there's no need to give things away; some shop owners with higher priced art on Etsy have had hundreds of sales.
  • Many artists sell both originals and prints. From what I can tell, prints can go for up to 50%+ of the price of the original.
  • Since creating giclee prints will require research and an extra investment, I may sell originals only until I establish the rate of interest/demand for these works. If interest and demand are high enough, I should already have quality scans for giclee reproduction (or I can simply create more pieces and have the printers scan them).
  • Categorization is helpful for buyers. In art shops (where I'm doing most of my research) some shop owners categorize by media, some by size, and some by style. I wonder if and hope the same piece can fall under several categories so I could categorize by all of these criteria.
Here's a sneak peek to some of the pieces I've been working on. If you follow me on facebook or instagram, this should be nothing new. Tootles.




I wrote an artist statement about the early work for a show I submitted them to, but I can't find the statement. I think it said something like, "In each piece of the the Threadlines series, a thin line of negative space dances down the center of the paper..."

No comments:

Post a Comment